Essential Arts Research Sources
Cultural Policy Research and Information Sources
- National Endowment for the Arts (NEA)
The NEA conducts the annual Survey of Public Participation in the Arts, the most recognized source of information on participation in the arts. Both the Notes and Reports sections of the NEA site have useful research trends in artist employment, arts organization growth, audience participation, and public funding.
- Cultural Policy and the Arts National Data Archive (CPANDA)
CPANDA is a repository of data on artists, arts and cultural organizations, audiences, and funding for arts and culture from a variety of research studies. The data is free and web accessible, so it’s a good place for those who need a data set for analysis. CPANDA also includes analysis and research findings from major reports.
- Arts Journal
Arts Journal offers news on arts and culture compiled daily from a wide variety of local and national news outlets. They also host a number of blogs that are widely read in the arts community.
- Community Arts Network
A well-known and very active site that includes resources, research, and exchange on community-based arts and social change. See also their news service, APInews.
- Performing Arts Research Coalition
A research collaboration among national discipline-based arts organizations—American Symphony Orchestra League, Association of Performing Arts Presenters, Dance/USA, OPERA America, and Theatre Communications Group. Their 2002 study tracked the impact of performing arts audiences in 10 communities.
- Alliance for Arts
The best source of research information on cultural policy for New York City.
- ArtsNet at Carnegie Mellon University
A searchable database with a mix of resources: organizations, documents, and websites.
Cultural Policy Academic Research Centers
- Princeton University's Center for Arts & Cultural Policy Studies
- Teachers College, Columbia University's Research Center for Arts and Culture
- University of Chicago's Cultural Policy Center
- Vanderbilt University's Curb Center for Art, Enterprise, and Public Policy
- The Ohio State University Department of Arts Administration, Education & Policy
Cultural Policy Journals
- Journal of Arts Management, Law, and Society
- International Journal of Arts Management
- Journal of Cultural Economics
- International Journal of Cultural Policy (formerly the European Journal of Cultural Policy)
- Cultural Trends
Nonprofit Research and Information Sources
- Independent Sector
A leading provider of research on the nonprofit sector.
- Foundation Center
The strongest source of information on philanthropy and the nonprofit sector. Also the first place to start a search for funding for any nonprofit organization. They have a special focus on arts funding as well.
A comprehensive database of nonprofit organizations, including financial information and 990 tax forms.
- National Center for Charitable Statistics
Downloadable raw data from nonprofit 990 forms.
- Urban Institute Nonprofits & Philanthropy
Conducts and disseminates research on the role and impact of nonprofit organizations and philanthropy.
Good source of information on nonprofit board and governance issues. Many of their resources are members-only.
International Cultural Policy Resources
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
Founded in 1945, UNESCO is the agency of the United Nations that serves as a clearinghouse for information and knowledge in the fields of education, science, culture, and communication among its 191 Member States and six Associate Members.
- The International Federation of Arts Councils and Culture Agencies (IFACCA)
IFACCA is the first global network of national arts funding bodies. Their mission is to create an international resource and meeting ground for all those whose public responsibility it is to support excellence and diversity in artistic endeavour.
- Arts Management Network
International information service for culture and management.
- Additional International Resources: